M and I have decided since this whole immigration thing and all the laws that go with it has sucked the romance out(he has to get married with-in 90 days of landing in the States, or he has to go back to the UK) that we are going to go to the Justice of the Peace as soon as he gets his SSN. We will do this to take the legal pressures off of us so we can plan our Blessing Ceremony. We can put all of the romance into that, and I can have my ivory brocade Tudor-style wedding dress. I still think that it would be awesome if M and his best man wore kilts, but that remains to be seen.
We are going to have the ceremony at my grandparents' little country church that is up in the northwest part of Iowa. My parents were married there, and they are married 37 years later, so it seems like good luck to me. I would like the decorations to basically be live and silk English ivy. Even before I met M, I loved English ivy, but now it means more to me since I am marrying an Englishman.
The reception, i would like people to bring pot-luck food rather than gifts. Most people will have several hours travel just to get there, and with gas prices as they are, it will be a gift to M and I that they could make it. The church has a kitchen, so if anything needs to be prepared there, it can be.
The dance is where we really get a taste of "Red-necks getting down on the farm" Of course this is only available to do in warmer weather. My grandparents offered to let us use the "hogshed" to have the dance. The "hogshed" hasn't had hogs in it in the last 30 years, but the cinderblock building makes an excellent shelter and large enough area to have the kids and adults dance and play. Here is the real red-neck part: we are going to move my 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 sedan from the barn to the hogshed. We'll clean it up and install an inexpensive but loud enough car stereo system and set it up so that M can hook up his laptop and VIOLA! instant DJ!
Another thing that M and I have agreed upon quite early, that this event will be alcohol free. We'll substitute sparkling juice for champagne so that the many children that will be there can have some too. The couple of friends that are recovering alcoholics won't feel any temptation, but most of all, no one will have to deal with drunken idiots. Now, once the dance is over and all of us go to our hotel rooms, then the adults can drink whatever. Mainly I am worried about safety for all, and to make all of it kid friendly as possible, because about half the people there will be children.
Then Sunday, I would like a brunch where all the wedding guests that stayed around can come and we all can just sit, eat, laugh, and be merry. I like to spend time with my friends, and who knows when there will be another opportunity to have them all together at the same time? Then that sunday evening, M and I can go off to our honeymoon, as I am sure that people will want to start travelling back to their homes.
Whew! I got windy, lol!
Thursday, May 04, 2006
wedding plans
Posted by Lizzardbits at 10:10 PM
Labels: International Couple
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment