Most Breastfeeding experts agree that introducing pacifiers to infants before breastfeeding is fully established can be detrimental to the breastfeeding relationship by causing nipple confusion. I agree. I am not a huge fan of the plastic, latex, silicone artificial comfort devices, however I have given them to all 3 of my kids. I can handle comfort nursing, to an extent, however after a while *I* feel twitchy and my nipples will feel twitchy, itchy, and sore. So when all the kids were a day or two old, I gave them pacifiers as a sanity saver.
Now one of my pet peeves with pacifiers (besides them being called 'dummies' over here in the UK) is seeing 2, 3 even up to 6-7 year olds walking around with them in their mouths, and talking around them like Pop-eye the Sailorman talking around his pipe, Blech!
I can say with Z and L I have been very fortunate and they gave the pacifiers up themselves at about 6-8 months old. I am happy to say that Alex, at 7 months, no longer wants his Yay! I can toss them out! M'buh-bye!
Monday, August 18, 2008
Pacifiers--M'buh-bye Now!
Posted by Lizzardbits at 5:18 AM
Labels: Breastfeeding, The Kids
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment